Do Hair Transplants Really Work?

Do Hair Transplants Really Work?

A hair transplant is a big financial and emotional commitment, so it should be of little surprise that one of the most frequently asked questions asked of the independent surgeons at Private Cosmetic is “Do hair transplants really work?”

 

How do FUE hair transplants work?

A Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE hair transplant harvests individual follicles. These can contain up to 4 hairs. Units are extracted from the harvesting point using punches of up to 1.0mm in diameter.

Once sufficient hair has been extracted the surgeon will then add the hair back to the scalp.  This is done using either very small micro blades or fine needles to puncture the sites for receiving the grafts

 

What percentage of transplanted hair follicles work?

Luckily, it’s a relatively straightforward answer. For most people, hair transplants work well. In healthy non-smokers about 95 to 98% of hair grafts are successful.  This typically leaves somewhere between 2% and 5% that don’t work properly.  This doesn’t always mean that the hair follicles will do absolutely nothing, but it is likely that the hair will be thin and of poor quality and grow irregularly.

If the implanted patches are looked after properly in their first few weeks, it’s fairly unlikely that we will see the 5% of failures cluster in one particular patch.  This allows the illusion of cover to be maintained by nearby successful transplants.

 

Tips for viable hair transplants

Of course, the key to a hair transplant is to make sure that you are transplanting from viable hair follicles. If the hair used is from an area where male pattern baldness could be expected over the next few years (as may be the case in some advanced cases of baldness) then you are not likely to secure lasting results. There is also a possibility that you may be making the donor area look worse in the pursuit of viable donor hair follicle sites.

Doctors recommend waiting until your receding hairline has nearly finished receding, waiting until most of your hair loss has occurred so that you do not continue to lose after surgery.

 

Book a free hair loss consultation

Private Cosmetic works alongside some of the best independent FUE hair transplant surgeons in the country. If you would like more information about what treatment is right for you, then fill in the form below for a no-obligation consultation to discuss your condition.

Arrange a free consultation

Please use the form below to tell us a little more about your enquiry

I'm intrested in...

About you


We use your postcode to locate your nearest clinic